With 4 chicken breast, 4 servings total and 1 C rice, per serving: 219 calories, 3.2 g fat, 85 mg sodium, 17.1 g cho, 1.1 g fiber, 2 g sugar, 28.2 g pro
With whole chicken, 5 servings total and 1 C rice, per serving: 234 calories, 6.8 g fat, 95.9 mg sodium, 13.7 g cho, .9 fiber, 1.6 sugar, 27.6 g pro
This is a simple recipe and one of my go to’s when looking for a comforting, warm and nutritious meal. I adopted this recipe years ago from “The Gluten-free Gourmet Cooks Fast and Healthy” by Bette Hagman, and have made a few changes but the original recipe is so good it really needs no adjustments. Of course, the biggest change I’ve made is to increase the amount of chicken….protein!
I’m somewhat of what I call a “freelance” cook, I just throw ingredients in without measuring, unless baking, so I’ve put in the original amounts with my adjustments.
- 5 C chicken broth, I use a combination of broth and the liquid that collects from cooking my whole chicken in the crock pot (minus the fat which I skim off the top after cooling)
- 1/2 C chopped onion (or one medium sweet onion)
- 1/2 C carrot (or two carrots) sliced thin
- 1/2 C celery (or a couple ribs) sliced thin
- 2 T chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 t dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf, which you will remove after cooking
Combine all of these in a large pot, bring to boil then reduce heat to simmer. Cook about 12 minutes or so. Then add the chicken, see below for amounts:
- Contest Prep: 3-4 raw chicken breasts, cubed or pre-cooked and shredded.
- Off Season: Roast a whole chicken in the crock pot, or buy a rotisserie chicken, and pull off all of the meat for soup.
Salt and pepper to taste, stir in 1 cup of cooked rice and lime juice from a quarter to 1/2 of a lime. You could omit rice for those who want to adjust according to diet needs or just add measured amount to bowl prior to pouring soup on top.
Enjoy! Garnish with a few cilantro leaves for a little extra flavor!