Nutritional information, without rice: 4 servings, 337 calories per serving, 25.9 g fat, 1,065 mg sodium, 11.6 g carb (2.6 g fiber, 1.5 g sugar), 17.8 g protein.
This is another recipe from our Chicken and Rice Remix post that’s become a favorite choice for quick weeknight dinners. It’s similar in taste (and ingredients) to the peanut chicken recipe also listed in the remix post, but has a few different ingredients that give it a bit more of a Thai flavor. The original recipe is from Tasty Kitchen and is very tasty as is!
Ingredients for the sauce:
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/2-3/4 cup light coconut milk (depending upon how thick you want the sauce)
- juice from half a lime
- 1 T thai red curry paste (I’ve used chili paste or green curry paste instead when I didn’t have curry paste)
- 1 T soy sauce
- 2 T fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 pinch sugar/honey
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 1 t unrefined coconut oil (or olive oil if you don’t have it)
- 1/2 diced onion
- 2 lbs chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 cup chopped asparagus (peas, edamame, broccoli or green beans would also taste good in this recipe)
- chopped peanuts, green onions and/or cilantro for topping
Whisk together the sauce ingredients in a bowl. Taste it to decide if it’s spicy or sweet enough for your taste, then set aside.
Heat the coconut oil in a large pan over medium heat, add onion and garlic. Add the chicken and stir fry for about 10 minutes, until it’s golden-brown. Add the sauce and turn the heat down to medium-low. Depending upon how much coconut milk you added to your sauce, you may only need to stir for a few minutes, uncovered, before the sauce gets thick or you may need to let it simmer for about 5 minutes, partially covered, before it thickens. If the sauce gets thicker than you’d like, you can always add some more coconut milk to the pan to thin it out a bit. Add asparagus, or your veggies of choice, when sauce is almost ready.
Serve over a bed of rice and you’re good to go! One of the best parts about this meal is that everything could easily be prepped in advance and then the actual cooking will only take you about 15-20 minutes.